Thursday, July 26, 2007

Going once, going twice, sold!

Have you ever been to an auction? Let me tell you, the first time I actually bid on something at an auction my heart was racing so hard that I almost couldn't breathe by the time the bidding was over.

I go to auctions now and then. I love the country farm auctions the best...especially in the summer and fall when the weather is nice.

I like old stuff. Even if I don't have anything in mind to bid on, I enjoy watching the people and wondering where all that stuff has been and where it's going to end up.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here, so John and I played hookie from work (a bonus of being self employed) and headed out to a country auction. Look what I bought!

These are old wooden silverware boxes. (I got a third one as well but it wasn't as nice) $2!

They look pretty dingy here, but I've already cleaned them up and removed the old material from the inside. The plan for these is to paint them a solid colour and add some painted embellishments to the outside and put new fabric on the inside. The old silverware boxes will do a transformation into new treasure boxes for our grandchildren for Christmas. I'm very excited about this! I'll post pictures when the project is complete (likely sometime in September)

My second purchase...lots and lots of tinware...$5! (Mulligan is inspecting them). The 3 round tubs all have lids. One is now holding birdseed, one is a dog poop container (the lid even has air vents at the top....perfect for this purpose!), and one is going to hold outdoor toys for the grandkids. There's a tall container...that's now storing charcoal (we use a Big Green Egg bbq, which uses charcoal not propane). And there's a rectangular container that will likely get spray painted and put on my desk. What else? Oh yes, there are 3 cannisters (Flour, Coffee, Spices) that someone painted yellow. The paint is peeling badly so I'm going to try to remove the paint and take them back to their original silver colour. There's a few other odds & ends too.

And...my happiest buy of the day:

This cabinet for $5!!...already refinished and repainted in one of my favourite colours (it doesn't show well here but it's a lovely sage green). It's 3 1/2 feet high by 4 feet wide and has a nice walnut stain on the three top pieces. I haven't decided on the new home for this cabinet...it might go into my office or it might go into my new craft/hobby room after Cody leaves us for good this September.

It was definitely a good day at the auction. $12 spent, and the CRV was absolutely packed.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

*Gasp* Omigosh! The cabinet! I am sooooooooo envious of that and for $5! And the other finds are awesome. Like I told you before, I've got to use your idea for the treasure boxes. That will be so sweet.

erin said...

What amzing finds! And for only $12!!! That's incredible!

Angelique said...

how FUN!! The cabinet is fantastic. I think it would be great for your up and coming new craft/hobby room. I'm going to have to go to an auction when I'm ready to buy some antique furniture for my studio.

Anonymous said...

I love the shape of this cabinet! It's unique how the center is lifted high like that! Great deal!!!