Monday, April 30, 2007

Life changing events & guessing game last clue



This very handsome guy (if I do say so myself) is my baby! If you ask me what my biggest life accomplishment has been, I would tell you...Cody.

My "baby" will be turning 20 this year so I'll no longer be able to say that I have a teenager. That makes me feel old! He was born on the 26th day of the month on my 26th birthday...how lucky is that? Not a great way to spend my birthday, but surely the best birthday present I have ever received.

My current life changing event is that Cody will be moving back home for the summer and he arrives tomorrow. He has been away for 2 years (but back for visits) studying acting. You may just see his mug on the big screen in the future (we hope). Their class has their last outing today...they'll be performing monologues in front of agents at a theatre in Toronto.

Cody & I have had some good conversations over the past few months as he struggles with where his future lies. I'm sure we'll have a few more good conversations over the summer. His struggle is...will he follow his dream to become an actor (which will require living life with very little money as he struggles to make it) or will he go back to university in the fall to work towards a teaching degree? My last face to face conversation with him was in March when we went to see his class perform their year end production. Over breakfast, he told me he was planning to go to school. I talked to him about following his dream. Now he's thinking more about that. Should I have done that? I don't know. When I told a friend of mine about the conversation, she couldn't believe it. I think she thought I was being an irresponsible parent. How could I give my son advice about dreams and not be practical about things? All I can do is have conversations with him about both options. I'm not telling Cody what to do with his life. But I do want him to consider pursuing his dreams. I think so many of us get "practical" and stifle our true selves. I want him to be true to himself and what he wants. Is that being a bad parent? I hope not. What do you think?

Now, back to my little guessing game. The comments & emails I've received have been very close to the right answer. Think about the Canadian flag and you'll have the answer. I'll post another photo tomorrow as well as the winner of my little draw. Leave a comment or send me an email if you want your name included in the draw to receive a little something from me.

2 comments:

Bumbershootska said...

it's a maple bud!!!!!!

Good for you to tell him such sensible advice. I do the same thing with Pat - follow your dream, be authentic and be happy. Love your life. He may be a poor musician but he's the happiest poor musician you've ever met LOL
What a good mom you are

Allyson Hill said...

Firstly, what a handsome guy! He looks like an actor. When I came to your blog and saw the picture I thought he was some famous guy : ) Secondly, oh what a hard life decision! Especially acting, yes it is hard to succeed. But I must say I am of the "follow your dream" mind. My best advice is to read this book which inspired my own scary decision to follow my dreams -- "The Dream Giver" An incredible book and I really, really, really, really recommend it. I got it at my local library on CD. It is an easy read and so insightful. HUGS!