Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Guessing game & we're going batty!


First of all...a mini challenge for you. Do you know what the photo above is? If you think you know, leave a comment or send me an email. All answers (right or wrong) received by May 1st will be put into a draw, and one lucky person will receive a little something in the mail from me. (I'll contact you for your mailing address if you're the winner...don't worry, I don't share confidential info)


Late last fall we were at a country auction and we bought a bat house. If anyone had told me in my prior "city girl" life that I would be encouraging bats to come around, I would have laughed! But I'm a true country girl now I guess. According to my internet searches, bat houses should be at least 12 feet in the air (yes, that's 12 feet) and should be in an open clearing. So we mounted our bat house in our "meadow". Our property is only 1 1/2 acres, but we have named several zones. (we have "the meadow", "the forest", "the bench", "Dori's garden", etc) If you look very, very closely you can see a bench in the background (there are 2 naked trees...one with a cement face mounted on it, and the bench is between the 2 trees). This is where we walk to at the end of every day (well, sometimes in the middle of winter I skip the tradition). It helps me decompress after the bad days (I have them now and then) or just be happy on the good days. The dogs follow us out to the bench and run around. When they get tired of playing, we head back to the house and start thinking about dinner. Very uncomplicated and comforting routine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay...this is now about my 5th time looking at this photo trying to figure it out. It really looks like a flower but I know that it can't be. I will keep coming back and see if I can come up with a better guess.
Oh and LOVE the bat house.i

Amanda said...

I agree with the above comment...it does look like a flower but could it be reflected somehow? It looks like a mirror image. That's my guess at least!
Have you seen any bats using the house? Your property looks gorgeous, it is something that I'd like for myself and my dogs once I get out of school!

Barking Biscuit said...

Hint: the photo was taken with a macro lens (close up) and is not digitally enhanced in any way.
As for the bats, I don't think there are any around yet. I'm not sure when & where they migrate from.

Jennifer said...

Better in the bat house than the humans house I say. We had bats all the time sneak into our old house. That was not fun! As for the picture is it an apple tree blossom? It's some sort of tree blossom, I think.

Bumbershootska said...

it's an apple or crabapple blossom?

Hmmmm?