Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Our Wild Life

Did I say Wild Life? Ha. I mean wildlife.
Remember my post about our Strange Visitor in the Night? If not, read it here.He came so often that we named him. Frank. Frank visited us every night for over one month. (well, he missed 3 nights during that time). We had family visiting for a week during that time and Frank entertained us all. We had dinner guests a few times and Frank entertained them. Funny how a little frog can amaze so many people.

Frogs can apparently really give some people the willies too. We had one dinner guest who was okay about looking at him (well, let's say she tolerated it) only because he was on the other side of the window. It turns out that she has a real aversion for frogs. She told us about a nightmare of a story (nightmare for her)....she was in staying in a home in Africa...they had a terrible rainstorm....and the home was invaded (inside the home) with hundreds of frogs.

I have to say, I might not be too big a frog fan in that situation!

Anyway, Frank is gone. He has been gone for about a week now. We discovered two molted snake skins in our garden. Methinks Frank has met an untimely end.


Speaking of untimely ends... Meet our two pond fish. Yes, we named them too. Lance (with the black arrow shape on his back) and Sugarlips (all orange, with a white ring around his lips).

Lance and Sugarlips joined us in May. We installed a pond and decided to put a couple of fish in it. We used to have a smaller pond, but we had to replace it after I dropped a rather large rock in it and put a hole in the bottom.

Sugarlips is gone! It's just not safe to be wildlife at our place. We talked to the pond lady. She told us a snake could be the culprit....or maybe a large bird. Poor Lance looks lonely and hides behind a rock almost constantly. Maybe we've traumatized him. Before Sugarlips went missing, the 2 fish swam around, up and down. The funniest thing to watch was when our Cinder went to get a drink from the pond.

You can't see the fish very well, but I've marked the 2 of them with red arrows. They used to swim up and get right into her beard.

Yikes, do you think Cinder swallowed Sugarlips? Stranger things have happened around here.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Sara, I am terrified of frogs! Well, maybe not as terrified as when I was younger, maybe it's just that I don't like them very much now. I had a huge Bullfrog jump at me when I was a kid.

Do you have cats around your house? They terrorize ponds with fish in them too.

Christine

Angelique said...

Frank is cute! Too bad he is gone..I'm actually quite a fan frogs. hmmm...did Cinder swallow Sugarlips...that's a good picture. I see the fish.

Barking Biscuit said...

We have a 14 year old cat of our own, and I would have said that catching a fish was above his ability but he caught his first bird yesterday. I was not impressed. Neighbourhood cats can't get in our yard...we have 1 1/2 acres, but it's almost all fenced.