Thursday, August 30, 2007

BARK Picnic - Final Installment

Meet some of our special friends from the BARK picnic on Sunday.
Chelsea and Sabrina are long time customers...they are sisters. I bake them a cake every year for their birthday celebration..."Go Bananas Pawty Cake". I originally met Chelsea at a weekend training session many, many years ago. Mulligan was with me...she was only a puppy and she's 8 now!

We met Luna, a miniature schnauzer, for the first time on Sunday. If you've been reading this blog, you know we have a soft spot for Schnauzers. Our Cinder is a Giant Schnauzer, but I have had two minis in my life. My family brought a mini home when I was 17. I named him Sam. I was supposed to be studying for an exam. I didn't study that day, but was saved by nature. There was a huge snow storm and school was cancelled the next day. This meant my grade 13 Spanish exam was cancelled too. I never did have to write that exam.

The second mini in my life was Mac. My first husband and I bought him from a breeder when we lived in Edmonton, Alberta. Mac moved with us from Edmonton, to Toronto, and then to Ottawa. He was a great dog.


This is Allie and Tyler. Allie is a very lucky dog to have such a devoted friend. Tyler spent all his allowance on Allie that day!

It was great meeting everyone on Sunday. I always get a little nervous before an event but it always runs smoothly. Some funny tidbits from the day:

After giving my little speech about our dog biscuits being hand made with all natural, human quality ingredients, someone asked "human quality, does that mean they're made with humans?" Ha. Funny guy.

We pack all our dog biscuit bags into large rubbermaid bins to transport them to and from a show. I put the bins at the back of our booth after I set up the table. Someone let their dog come and pee all over one of the bins. No apologies were offered.

We sell one inch button pins as fundraisers...I donate $1 to charity for every button pin sold. There is a medium sized sign right beside the bowl with the price marked, and the fact that we donate some of the money raised. A boy walked up, put his hand in the bowl, and grabbed a hand full of pins while his dad watched. He started walking away with all the pins. I didn't know what to do, but John saw it happening and chimed in "those pins are $2 each". He brought them back.

I haven't heard the final results for the fundraiser, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear.

Next booth: Greyhound Planet Day, October 27th, Ottawa. More info later!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

The dog peeing on your bins reminds me of when I was at my friend's stag and doe which was a pig roast on her family's property. Dogs were allowed so we brought one of our dogs and what does he do once we let him off leash? Walks right up to the bags of corn and starts peeing on them! I quickly rushed over and luckily it was an empty bag but I was mortified! I guess dogs don't know what they are and aren't supposed to be peeing on :)
Although, that owner should've apologized...but maybe they didn't see it happen? (I always like to give the benefit of the doubt).

Barking Biscuit said...

The owner stood there and watched. It wasn't a big deal...you just have to laugh these things off or you'd drive yourself crazy.

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. Looks like everyone had a great time.

Angelique said...

If my kid (when I have kids) took something, even if it was free (which obviously the pins weren't), I wouldn't let him take a whole hand full.
And the peeing thing....that's just awful...I apologize when my dog just licks someone on the face.
I'm glad you can laugh it off...laughter keeps us sane in a sometimes insane world. :-)