Thursday, September 20, 2007

Never say never

Let this be a lesson to all of you...never say never.

Here are some of the things I have said in the past two years (since our beloved Husky Bailey passed away):
I don't want to go back to 3 dogs.
When we do get another dog, I want a puppy.
I don't want another dog I have to clip.
I don't want another dog of the same breed...it would remind me too much of who we have already shared our lives with.

Well, as they say...promises were made to be broken. Even promises to ourselves.

It all started with Christine, a member of the Giant Schnauzers In Ontario Group. She posted a note to the group about a GS who needed a home.

Casi is about 3-4 yrs old. She is spayed, well behaved, obedient and very smart. As you know, her bad habits are sometimes (she has gotten better) getting food from the table/counter and loves eating tissue paper, usually from same areas. Go figure!!! She was given to a foster home by a really nice family who just did not have the time for her anymore. She’s great with special needs kids and LOVES men.

I talked to John about her, even though really I didn't think it was right to take on a third dog. Our Cinder is declining and I thought we should concentrate on giving her our full attention in the last months or years of her life. Christine posted more information about Casi.

Update: Casi is with Standard Poodle Rescue but is still available.

I went through the thoughts again in my mind. For some reason, I just couldn't shake the thought that this dog belonged to us. Crazy? Tuesday night I contacted Christine.

Christine is amazing. She's not officially in GS rescue, but you'd never know it. She went out and visited with Casi, she took photos and a video, she talked with the people at the rescue group. She arranged for us to go down and meet with them.

Wednesday afternoon we were in Bowmanville (a 3+ hour drive) with Cinder and Mulligan.

It didn't look good at the start. Casi wouldn't come near us and was afraid. The staff gave us treats to give to Casi, but she wasn't interested. We moved outside and John got our own Barking Biscuits. Wow. Casi liked them and decided that maybe we were okay. We spent an hour or so with her and then brought Cinder and Mulligan into the fenced area to meet her.
I was worried that our dogs would be aggressive but it was sort of a non event in their eyes.
Mulligan, Cinder, and Casi all want Barking Biscuits

By 5:30 we were signing the papers and paying the adoption fee.

By 6:30 we loaded the 3 dogs in the car and were headed out for our 3+ hour drive home.
24 hours later and we have a third dog (not a puppy, a dog who needs to be clipped, and a 2nd Giant Schnauzer! I broke all my own rules)
Cassie (foreground), Cinder (middle) and Mulligan (upper right) in the backyard.
Casi (which we are changing to Cassie) is laying at my feet as I blog about her.

I couldn't be happier. Thanks Christine. Christine (left) holding Cassie, Sara with Cinder and Mulligan

6 comments:

Angelique said...

Congratulations on the new family member!! It's so hard to say never when it comes to dogs (and cats).

Julie said...

Sara, I couldn't be happier for you and your family! Isn't Christine amazing?? Please give Cassie a big hugs from Arizona!

Christine said...

It brings tears to my eyes reading this post! What a wonderful life Cassie will have! Cinder and Mulligan are wonderful dogs and very beautiful. I couldn't be happier for all of you!!

Anonymous said...

Well....she's beautiful. When I rec'd your voicemail I thought I would check your blog too. Low and behold a new member to our wonderful family! We can wait to meet her.
Love, Us xo

K.Eckerle said...

Congratulations, Sara. I'm sure Casie is thrilled. Never-say-never's the rule around MY house!! Casie is beautiful and I'm sure you will all many great times together.

Amanda said...

Congrats on the new family member! She looks like she fits right in! My cat's name is Cassie too...a very nice name for a sweet girl.