Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Working like a dog so I can relax

Just who came up with the expression "working like a dog"? It sure wasn't anyone who has visited our home. This is the life of our dogs: sleep, go outside, eat, sleep, test dog biscuits, sleep, go outside, eat, sleep, sleep..... How exactly is that working?


I've been very busy over the last little while preparing for our upcoming vacation. As vacation nears, I tend to get a little (ha!) stressed. Sometimes I feel sorry for John (who has to deal with me), but mostly I feel stressed. I've been madly rushing around trying to fill orders for all my stores (so that they don't run out of dog biscuits while I'm away). Tomorrow is full of deliveries into all the Ottawa stores, and the other orders have been mailed. I've got a long to do list that actually has some items crossed off (yay!).

For our own dogs, I have to prepare all their food for 2 1/2 weeks. (I make their food, which I know would be asking too much of our son to do while we're away). We don't have a freezer, so the freezer in our refrigerator has nothing in it now except dog food and ice cubes. I don't know what our son plans to eat, but hopefully nothing that's frozen because it most definitely won't fit into the freezer.

If that isn't enough, I decided on the weekend that I would make a new umbrella cover for our picnic table umbrella (John was away at a golf tournament and I like to keep busy while he's away). This wouldn't be a big challenge for a sewer, but I'm not much of a sewer. The fabric was on sale (marked down to $3 per metre from $9.99) and I bought 10 metres. So far, it's cut out into 8 sections (with 6 inches to spare...that was close!) and sewn into 4 sections. Hopefully I'll get the rest done in the next few days. I'm very proud of myself...the fabric has stripes and I've managed to match all the stripes when sewing the sections together (so far, anyway). I'll try to show some photos of the old & new (making this promise is actually inspiration for me to complete the job!).

Now, I would like your advice. This little blog is partly business, partly personal. I've been torn about whether I should have 2 blogs...one for the dog biscuit part of my life, and one for the personal part (photos, crafts, etc). What do you think? Is it good to have both business and personal in one blog? I figured that since my business is home based, my business is personal...hence, only one blog. I don't know. I can't seem to make up my mind and be comfortable with it. Let me know what you think.

Time for a couple of photos:

This is Mya. This beautiful girl was one of the Giant Schnauzers who got to attend the Giant Schnauzer Grand Slam 2007 last Saturday. We sent down some large bones for all the dogs. The photo on the left is Mya waiting patiently for her Hot Dog! bone. Ahhhh, now she gets to eat!Thanks Christine for organizing the Grand Slam event for all the GS's, and for sending me some photos of your beautiful Mya!

8 comments:

K.Eckerle said...

I think one blog is just perfect --- gives a mix of both personal and business which I find enjoyable -- especially considering your business is dog oriented and it's nice to see how much a part of YOUR life your dogs really are. Makes your treats all the more special!! Keep up the good work and have a great vacation. We'll be waiting for pictures when you return. Want to see that umbrella too!! I sew, but would never think of trying to sew THAT!!

Allyson Hill said...

Wow, I can't believe you are tackling that huge project! Good for you and please show pictures!!! (remember...I think I can I think I can I think I can) Good question about the blog too. I don't think I could keep up with two blogs. Personally I love when people mix business and personal life in their blogs. I am curious and interested in both, so I would rather see them both on one place. All business blogs can become semi-boring or expected. You have your own website so your customers can get basic info from there and then hop over to your blog if they want the behind-the-scenes information. So I say keep it as it is!

Christine said...

Keep the blog the way it is. I enjoying reading it and I think it's more personal this way.

Jennifer said...

I couldn't imagine having two blogs. I feel I've become more personal and people respond to that. I love reading your blog and the about the doggies. And I love mya, she is a beauty!

Angelique said...

I think your blog is great the way it is. Having more than one blog is VERY hard to keep up with. I have a couple blogs. I started a 'family' when we moved to Colorado so friends and family could keep up with use. Then I started my snow angel blog to market my stuff. As I started to get to know others, my blog started to get more personal which is fun. I’m going to have a separate photography blog and then I have my husband’s blog. My only reason to have those separate is it helps me feel more organize...don’t know why. I really don’t think you have to separate your personal from your business though...I think those buying your biscuits will enjoy getting to know the girl behind the biscuits. :-)

Amanda said...

I agree with the others...2 blogs is too much to keep up with! Plus, I like reading about both. I'm leaving in about 1.5 weeks for my vacation...if I order biscuits now will I get them in time? I'd like to leave some with my dogs so they don't feel so sad! If you're really too busy, that's ok, I'll just ration what I have now!

Anonymous said...

I think one blog is great. After all, are some of your customers friends? Some of your friends customers? I think you have the perfect mix of business and personal...Love the pictures of Mya, the model.. I enjoy your blog the way it is now.
Have a great vacation. Enjoy!!

Barking Biscuit said...

Thanks for your comments. It must be the Gemini in me...I'm always at war with myself (two personalities). Sometimes I think a blog tied to my business should be a bit more business like. But then, my business is me, so why not get personal? Anyway, you've convinced me...one blog it is!