Monday, June 11, 2007

Guessing Games, Projects, and Life

I just posted (and then removed!) the answer to the "Guess how many dog biscuits are in the cookie jar contest". After I posted the answer, I checked out the Canines with a Cause web site. It seems they are holding a 2nd garage & bake sale...this time in west end Ottawa on June 16th. The cookie jar contest is still going on, so I can't post the correct answer now. You'll just have to wait until I return from vacation (June 27th) to know the right answer. So...it's not too late to guess! Leave a comment, or send an email to join in.





Guess what? My umbrella project is done! Not perfect, but I'm very proud of it just the same.
I didn't make a pattern, but here is what I based my project on (don't laugh)

I measured and cut one piece. Then I used the first piece to cut out the remaining 7 pieces. (this would horify you seamstresses, but I didn't pin anything...just laid the first piece down and started cutting)

This is the "before" photo: (not a good one, but you can see the hem is down and frayed. Not shown are the several tears around the sides of the umbrella)

And now, the "After":

I managed to match the stripes at the seams. The flap on the top is a little dorky looking...I think I attached the flap to high on the seams (no, I am NOT going to re-do it!) The pockets for the wooden umbrella arms are a little bulky. The biggest challenge with the whole project was to get my 50 year old sewing machine to slog through the canvas. I've never worked with such thick material (and I never will again...once is enough for me!). All in all, not bad I think?

The weekend started not too well, with a bit of bad news I received on Friday ...I did not make it into the big Christmas Gift Show I was hoping for. I am on the waiting list, so there is still some hope (if only a little).

However, the weekend improved with a day of babysitting John's grandson:

Nothing like a two year old to make you look at the world with a new set of eyes. Everything is a discovery and a joy for them.

Tomorrow will be a long day. Cody is graduating from College. Of course, I want to be there. This requires a 6 hour drive to London, sitting in an auditorium for 4 hours, a 2 hour dinner with the Theatre Students & families, then another 6 hour drive home. I get tired just thinking about it. Home for 24 hours, then leaving at 3 in the morning for our VACATION! (the first day will be 15 hours of driving!)

4 comments:

Allyson Hill said...

Oh my goodness Sara! You are a natural! (referring to the umbrella)

Angelique said...

My mouth has dropped to the floor and I'm at a loss for words. The umbrella looks AWESOME! You did a fantastic job. Okay...you need to bring out the sewing machine more often. I agree....you are a natural. Really it looks great and the colors are perfect for summer. LOVE IT!
I'm sorry about the Christmas show...that's a bummer. I'm glad you are on the waiting list though, that means there is hope.

Jennifer said...

An umbrella!!!!!!! What?! It looks awesome! I never even would think or want to attempt and umbrella, but holy cow aren't they expensive. You make Pottery Barn jealous and look like child's play!

Amanda said...

Wow! The umbrella looks gorgeous, so summery and I can't believe you managed the match the stripes. I only have a very basic knowledge about sewing and I would never attempt this or even know where to begin! I agree with the others, you are a natural.
I'm sad to hear about the show, they really don't know what they're missing but at least there's still hope!
Have a great vacation!