Friday, June 8, 2007

The Good The Bad & The Ugly

Before I get started, just a reminder to please participate in my current guessing game if you haven't already. Winner of a little something (no, not dog biscuits) will be announced on Sunday or Monday. Read about it here.

Now, for today's topic. One of my all time favourite movies...The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly...a good old spaghetti western from 1964 starring Clint Eastwood.

I think maybe it's one of my favourites because the first time I saw it was the first time I was allowed to stay up past my bed time to watch it on tv on the late night show. I seem to have passed this love of GBU on to my son (poor guy), who also lists it as one of his favs. It's such a sickness that I even have the soundtrack on CD. You have to hear the soundtrack to know just how weird I am.

Anyway, today's theme is Good, Bad, & Ugly. We'll start with the GOOD:

A while ago, I was fortunate enough to have my business featured in the newsletter put out by The National Capital Coalition for People & Dogs (NCCPD). I was reluctant to post about it, being modest and all, but every now and then you just have to toot your own horn. So today it's my turn to toot. You can read the article called "Mrs. Harley, You Make Good Cookies...And You're a Good Woman Too" in the Spring 2007 issue of The Dog Guardian by clicking here.

And now the BAD:

There are some frustrating things about being in business for yourself, and supplying your product wholesale to other stores. One of those things is that stores sometimes go out of business. There seems to be an epidemic of this, because 5 of the stores I supply have gone out of business in the last few months. This is a bummer (well, probably more of a bummer for them but still). One of the stores that has closed it's doors was one of my biggest customers. Thankfully, only one of the five stores owes me money. Not a big amount ($150) but I would have liked those dollars in my pocket instead of theirs. They have declared bankruptcy, so it's not likely I'll see that money anytime in the future. Sigh.

And now the UGLY:

Living with dogs sometimes has drawbacks. This last week has been a time of carnage and devastation. It seems that my darling Mulligan (our 8 year old mixed breed) has decided she is in charge of keeping the yard free of rodents. Well, most people call them rodents but I call them cute. For years, I've been waiting to have wild life in our yard (when we moved here 9 years ago we had no trees). Finally, this year we have squirrels and chipmunks. They are the ground feeders under a bird feeder we have. Last week, Mulligan treed a squirrel. Keep in mind that the trees we planted are still only about 10 or 12 feet tall. I watched from the living room window as Mulligan stood up on her hind legs and shook the tree.
Me: "oh, isn't she smart! I can't believe she's doing that".
Mulligan ran around the tree, stood up on her hind legs again and shook the tree.
Me: "I really can't believe she's doing that".
Squirrel: "I better get outta here" and jumps from the tree onto the ground.
Me: (Screaming and running for the door) "Mulligan NO! OFF! OFF! OFF!"
(off is her command for not touching something or letting something go) In this case, it was for letting something go because she caught the squirrel. She did let go but it was...
Too late. I cried as I carried him (her?) away.

Flash forward to this week. Yesterday I was taking a shower and heard John yell at the top of his voice "MULLIGAN. NO! OFF!". Oh no. I won't go into gory details but this time a poor little chippy decided to try to outrun Mulligan and lost. The biggest surprise of this event was that John carried poor little chippy away. (usually, clean up of anything bigger than a fly is my job) Thank you John.

Now we check the feeder for rodent activity before we let Mulligan out. Here's hoping for no more ugliness. (let's leave that to Eli Wallace in GBU)

Let's go back to something good, shall we. Here are a couple of photos from my recent obsession with taking close up shots.




Have a wonderful weekend.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Sara,
I can definitely relate to you because one of my dogs loves to chase squirrels, bunnies, chipmunks, etc. He's never been able to catch one but I'm pretty sure he would kill it also, inadvertantly or not. And unfortunately this behaviour is so instilled in them that management seems to be the only way. But I don't get worried when he chases deer because they're always too fast for him!
Your photos are beautiful BTW!

Amanda

Angelique said...

ha...one of my husbands' favorite movies is the good, the bad and the ugly. I like it myself too.
So glad you shared those articles...that is so GREAT! "Sara a good woman too"...I concur. :-)
LOVE your dog stories. I wish our dog would listen to 'off' and ‘stay' and 'come'...I could keep going. She's an almost year old lab and well...she's a bit stubborn to say the least. She's been to two puppy schools and graduated both. The saddest thing for us is we can't walk her off leash because it’s a nightmare to get her back. The trainer told us that dogs usually mature at a year...Labs, 2 years. So I guess we still have some hope. :-) She’s a handful but we love her.
Your photos are BEAUTIFUL. I love the soft colors of the last one, I can almost smell the rose scent.

Christine said...

Sara, that was a very nice article that they wrote about you. You must be very proud! Well, I'm proud of you anyway :)
Mya likes to chase squirrels, but I don't think she would actually do anything if she got close enough to one. I guess Mulligan is just better at it!
Love the pictures too by the way.
Christine

Allyson Hill said...

Congratulations on your article!

Sorry about your business losses, I recently experienced that for the first time too : ( Thankfully I didn't lose any money though. I am thankful that you shared your situation though because it is a warning that it could happen to me also.

Your poor dog, it must be so confusing to him : (

Unknown said...

Hi Sara, thank you for your vote over at my contest :) Your photos are beautiful! I've just got a new puppy so I'll be reading the rest of your blog with interest!

Jennifer said...

The photos are wonderful. And the business aspect...ugh! Your poor dog, so confused with instinct and what is right. Our dog used to chase animals with such passion, especially deer. Yep, she was no match for the turkeys though.