Thursday, December 13, 2007

There's no pimping here

Our new pumpkin biscuits have been giving me a few little challenges.


First of all, we printed up some lovely new pumpkin tags featuring Sammy. The tags look great, but after packing our bags into shipping boxes I realized there was a little problem...the tags are 1/4 inch wider than all of our other tags. This probably seems like a very small detail, but let me tell you it makes a difference when you are trying to snuggly pack rows of 10 bags into shipping boxes. An extra 1/4 inch adds up to an extra 1 & 1/4 inches when you pack a row of 5 bags...and there's not that much room to spare in our shipping boxes. Sigh.

Secondly, the pumpkin biscuits have been wildly popular (which is a very good thing) but so popular that I sold out a couple of weeks ago. Not to worry, I had our bakery bake up some more and picked them up earlier this week. I opened up the box and much to my surprise, it was filled with pumpkin biscuits...but the wrong ones.

A couple of years ago, we had a pumpkin biscuit which was truly uninspiring. We dropped them due to dismal sales. We revamped the biscuits a couple of months ago. We dropped the corn, dropped the grains, and added pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and sesame seeds...oh yes, and a dash of allspice. Yum.

But the pumpkin biscuits in my boxes had no seeds! Seems my bakers used the OLD recipe, not the NEW recipe. Sadly, I am still sold out of pumpkin biscuits.

But...I still had to smile. I took a look at my packing slip. My production manager is originally from Switzerland and her written English is interesting sometimes. It seems I picked up "pimping pieces" instead of "pumpkin pieces"!

An interesting business alternative, but I think we won't diversify into pimping just yet.

No comments: