Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lesson One

Remember this gift that Angelique sent me last April? Well, it is one of the reasons that Cassie and I have gone back to school. One of Cassie's little tricks is that she is a counter cleaner. That is, if you leave something on the counter and go away and leave her...she'll kindly remove it from the counter and tear it apart. I had taken my biz card holder from one purse to put into another...left it on the counter...et voila! No more biz card holder. Ordinarily it wouldn't be a big deal, but it was special to me because someone made it for me...and now it is no more.

Anyway, our first lesson in basic obedience started off in a bad way. We arrived a little early (thank goodness). I put Cassie's leash on her while I was still in the car. I got out of the car...and Cassie leaped out the driver's door after me. Dog on the loose! Do you think she would come back to me? Not a chance. She was hyper. I tried, tried to remain calm but all I could think of was that it was dark...and we were in a parking lot...and that there were going to be other people arriving. It seemed like forever, but I did get her back. Needless to say, I started the class off quite stressed.

The hour long session was a good refresher (I need it just as much as Cassie). My biggest problem was that Cassie loved...LOVED...the 2 male instructors. She wouldn't take her eyes off them the whole time...even when the 2 of us were supposed to be practicing. She sat and wagged her tail constantly. Hello! Take a look at me...you're my dog. What's so great about those guys anyway? My ego took a little beating.

So, my mind is full of stuff. Do this, do that, don't say this, don't do that. Oh well, I figure if we practice as long as I get her to look at me during a training class, I'm ahead of where we started. Ha!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hahaha...that's funny, usually when dogs have problems with people its usually males they don't like! But I totally can relate to you, Gunner can be dog aggressive (usually he's on leash and he reacts when I tighten the leash). So 2 years ago I started working with a dog trainer who specializes in aggression and he has progressed so much since then! Lately though, he seems to have taken a few steps back so back to school we go! I have been learning lots and we've been doing some fun stuff as well, so sometimes it is better to have a difficult dog...I know that I've been much better at reading dog language and have become a much better handler.
Good luck with Cassie! And don't forget to have fun! (I know how stressful those classes can be sometimes).

Angelique said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the business card holder. Cassie must have thought it belonged to her being it had paw prints on it. :-)
I think I still have some of that fabric left...hmmmm.